Pancake Day – Shrove Tuesday
Pancake Day is upon us and we have the frying pans ready to cook up a storm of mouth-watering pancakes.
Here at Seasoned we have been discussing our favourite toppings and it seems that Nutella & strawberries, lemon & sugar and ham & cheese are the top picks in the office!
As an event caterer we love any day dedicated to food and Pancake Day has to be one of our favourites.
When is Pancake Day?
Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday, is on the 13th of February this year, it is always 47 days before Easter Sunday.
What is Pancake Day?
Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday which is when Christians start celebrating Lent and give up certain foods.
Traditionally Christians would fast from these foods for 40 days and would therefore use up whatever they had left on Shrove Tuesday such as eggs, fat and sugar.
Perfect fluffy American style pancake recipe:
We love French style crèpes but thought it would be nice to share one of our favourite American pancake recipes with you!
- 135g of plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 130ml of milk
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp of melted butter or olive oil
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 2 tbsp of caster sugar
- Maple syrup (to serve)
- Streaky bacon (to serve)
- Sift all the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl mix the milk, egg and melted butter together.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk, whisk, whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Leave the batter to stand whilst you fry your streaky bacon until crispy.
- Add a knob of butter to a new frying pan, once heated and the butter has melted add a ladle of batter or two at a time. When the top starts to bubble, turn the pancake over and cook until both sides are golden.
- Serve with a small knob of butter, maple syrup and your crispy bacon.